Step via step recipe of cooking the complete tilapia. Find out how to cook dinner the entire tilapia recipe at the range or how long to bake if baking inside the oven.
- 1 medium whole Tilapia, cleaned
- ½ cup onion, sliced
- ½ cup onion, paste
- 1½ teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, extra for cleaning
- 2 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2-3 green chilies
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Clean the fish thoroughly, especially the inner cavity. Rub some salt and turmeric powder on the fish. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off the salt and turmeric. This step should eliminate any foul smell that the fish may have.
- Mix onion paste, garlic paste, cumin, turmeric, and chili powder. Add lemon juice and half the oil.
- Rub the spice paste generously on to the inner cavities and outside of the whole tilapia. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a flat bottomed non-stick pan.
- Add the fish and pan-fry in medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On an ovenproof dish, add onion slices, green chili, and the fish.
- Bake fish for 25 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil and keep the fish in the oven to broil for 5-6 minutes turning once.
- Garnish with lemon slices and cilantro, if desired.
NOTESThe pan-fry step can be omitted and the fish can be baked for 30 minutes and then broiled for 5-6 minutes turning once.
Fish can be cooked entirely on the stovetop by covering the fish and cooking in low-medium heat after pan-frying.
Adjust chili and other spices according to taste.