Salmon and mustard are a traditional pairing, but this recipe also adds buttery leeks to the mixture. Each element is easy to prepare and brings a ton of flavor to the finished dish.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- 4 (5-ounce) center-cut king salmon filets, skin and pin bones removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Espelette pepper
- GLAZED LEEKS
- 2 medium leeks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- Kosher salt, to taste
- GRAIN MUSTARD DRESSING
- 1/2 cup grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salmon:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix the olive oil and lemon zest together in a small bowl.
3. Place salmon fillets on a baking sheet and drizzle the lemon zest laced olive oil and season with salt and Espelette pepper. Let sit at room temperature for one hour prior to cooking.
4. Place the salmon in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
For the glazed leeks:
1. Slice leeks in half lengthwise, trim the very outer leaves and then slice the leeks crosswise on a slight angle.
2. Place the leeks in a large bowl and cover with cold water; move the leeks around in the water to remove any sand and then pull the leeks from the water and let drain on a plate.
3. Place the butter and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the leeks and season with kosher salt.
4. Cook, stirring gently for 4-5 minutes until the leeks are soft and have absorbed the water and butter glaze. Set aside until ready to serve.
For the grain mustard dressing:
Place the grain mustard, lemon juice and water in a mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth. Slowly drizzle in olive oil; season with salt to taste and set aside.
Coat the top of the salmon with grain mustard dressing.
Place the salmon on a serving plate with a drizzle of extra mustard dressing on the plate, alongside a spoonful of glazed leeks. Serve immediately.Open Next Page To See More!