Sartheles Pistes (In Greek: σαρδέλες ριγανάτες, mentioned car-THEH-Les ree-ghah-NAH-check) is a favorite dish throughout Greece and takes place to be a clean one to make. The recipe requires fresh sardines, garlic, oregano, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. The hardest part of this recipe may be finding sparkling sardines—sadly, it can simply not taste the same. And after you score some clean sardines, you need to eat them the identical day—they don’t freeze properly and will rot quickly.
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds fresh sardines
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons organic (Greek oregano), more or less to taste
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 355 F/180 C.
- Remove scales and intestines from the sardines, leaving heads intact.
- Lay sardines in a baking pan and top with all remaining ingredients, using salt, pepper, and oregano to taste (don’t skimp), sprinkling evenly.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until fish are golden and skin is crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!