Salmon wrapped in crisp filo pastry with a clean spiced tomato and ginger jam for a delicious midweek circle of relatives meal. Filo makes it healthier too
- olive oil
- root ginger 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- garlic 1 clove, chopped
- cider vinegar 2 tbsp
- cumin ½ tsp
- ground cinnamon ½ tsp
- soft brown sugar 1 tbsp
- peeled plum tomatoes 1 × 400g tin
- salmon fillets 4, about 100g each
- filo pastry 4 sheets
- STEP 1 Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put a baking tray in the oven. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the vinegar, spices, sugar, and tomatoes. Stir and let simmer for 15 minutes until thick. Remove from heat.
- STEP 2 While the jam is cooking, Season the salmon and cut the filo in half vertically. Brush 2 sheets lightly with oil. Layer on top of each other. Roll the middle of each salmon fillet in the filo. Brush with a little oil and place on a baking tray seam-side-down. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.