Check out our quick-cured beetroot salmon with a fresh and crunchy beetroot apple salad. This simple recipe does not exceed 20 minutes and does not contain many calories
- ready-cooked beetroots 300g
- sea salt flakes 1 tbsp
- caster sugar 1 tsp
- coriander seeds 1 tsp, toasted and lightly crushed
- salmon fillets 2 x 120g, skin on
- English mustard 2 tsp
- olive oil 2 tbsp
- red wine vinegar 1 tbsp
- watercress 2 handfuls, woody stems removed
- flat-leaf parsley a small handful, torn
- sharp eating apple ½, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- walnuts 25g, toasted
- Step 1 Put one of the cooked beetroots into a small blender with the salt, sugar and coriander seeds, and whizz. Put the salmon fillets into a container, pour over the beetroot salt and rub well into the salmon. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Step 2 Wash the salt off the salmon under gently running cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper. Put the mustard into a large bowl with 1½ tbsp olive oil and whisk well before adding the vinegar and some seasoning. Cut the remaining beetroots into wedges, then add to the bowl along with the watercress and parsley, and toss well.
- Step 3 Heat a frying pan to medium-high and coat the salmon fillets with the remaining ½ tbsp olive oil. Put the salmon, skin-side down, into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until really crisp. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Step 4 Divide the salad between 2 plates, scatter with apple and walnuts and serve the salmon fillets on top.