The combination of lime and basil, in reality, provides flavor to the tilapia. This dish can both be eaten in conjunction with grilled veggies or sliced and served in tacos or over rice.
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
Steps to Make It
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, fresh basil, bourbon, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Place tilapia fillets in a resealable plastic bag and pour marinade over top. Make sure all surfaces are coated well with the marinade. Seal bag and refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove fish from bag and pour marinade into a saucepan. Bring marinade to a boil, immediately reduce heat and let simmer on low for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Grill tilapia fillets for 3 to 5 minutes per side over high heat. When fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 F. and appears opaque in color, remove from grill and serve with a few spoonfuls of marinade drizzled over top.
- If using the fish for tacos. Skip the last step and brush the tilapia with the cooked marinade as it cooks. Remove from heat once done and flake into bite-sized pieces.