If you believe skate is a weird fish, suppose once more and give this superb fish another opportunity! Skate is a sensitive, organization fish that has a slight, candy taste and a unique texture. It has cartilage — no bones.
- 1 skate wing hunger 홍어 (about 3/4 to 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 scallion finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or mirin or white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon corn syrup or oligodang,
- 1/2 teaspoon gochugaru Korean red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Pinch pepper
- 1 scallion cut into about 4 inches and thinly sliced (package, 파채)
- or a handful of spring mix or arugula
- Clean the skate and lightly season with salt.
- Combine the sauce ingredients and mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Fill a large pot with about two inches of water. Place a steamer on top. If no steamer is available, place a small heatproof baking dish or ramekin that can keep a large plate high enough not to touch the water, and then place a heatproof large plate on top. When the water starts to steam, add the fish and cover. Steam for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Open the lid, and spoon the sauce all over the fish. Cover, and steam for 2 to 3 more minutes. It’s done if the flesh separates from the cartilage easily. Remove from the pot and place the optional scallion while the fish is still hot.
Parchment paper method
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Cut two pieces of parchment paper that are large enough to completely wrap the fish and leave extra for the folds. On a baking sheet, place the fish in the middle of the double-layered parchment paper. You can add some lemon slices if you want. Bring the two long sides together and fold a couple of times to seal tightly. Next, fold and roll the shorter sides, and then tuck each one under the fish to seal the packet.
- Bake the fish for about 8 to 10 minutes. Carefully open the packet, and spoon the sauce all over the fish. Return it to the oven, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.