A need to strive salmon taco recipe! Salmon is pro with Mexican spices then grilled for a mild char, then it’s flaked into portions and served over tacos at the side of fresh avocado and other delicious toppings.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless salmon, skinned and sliced into 3 equal portions
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt, then more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium avocados (ripe but semi-firm), peeled, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup small-diced red onion, run under cool water to remove harsh bite and drain
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 6- inch corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups thinly sliced red or green cabbage
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- For the salmon:
- Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat. In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice, ancho chili powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, coriander, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Evenly rub mixture over both sides of salmon (I placed the first one on the plate then began to stack the rest over it so the rub didn’t all just end up left behind on the plate). Brush grill lightly with oil, place salmon on grill and cook, rotating once halfway through cooking, until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Meanwhile, prepare avocado salsa.
- For the avocado salsa:
- In a mixing bowl gently toss together diced avocado, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble tacos:
- Break salmon into small portions and layer over the center of tacos, add cabbage, avocado salsa, and Cotija cheese. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: inspired by Laylita’s Salmon