This grilled rockfish (striped bass) is basted with a simple sauce manufactured from butter, lemon, and Worchestire. This recipe is without a doubt a certain-fireplace keeper!
- 2 to 3 pounds striped bass one or two whole fish
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Fish Basting Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ cup lemon juice
- lemon slices for serving (optional)
Prepare the Fish for grilling:
- For this recipe, you will remove the fish’s head and butterfly the fish’s body, leaving the scales on.
- Start by laying the fish on its side. Using a chef’s knife, place the blade where the head meets the gills. Slice off the head making sure to apply firm pressure so that the knife goes through the fish’s spine. Discard the head.
- Butterfly the fish. Using a sharp fillet knife, start from the bottom side of the fish just before the tail and run the knife all the way along the fish’s body to wear the head was cut. Open up the body and remove the guts with your hands and discard.
- Rinse the fish under cold water to help wash out the cavity. Blot dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper, to taste. The fish is now ready for the grill.
- Prepare the grill for direct heat and preheat to 350 to 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pot. Whisk together with the Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Keep warm until needed.
- When the grill is ready, place the fish flesh side down onto a well-oiled rack over glowing coals for 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the fish and continue to grill the fish, scale side down.
- Baste the fish with the warm basting sauce every 3 to 5 minutes.
- Grill the fish until the meat is cooked through at the thickest part and the meat begins to flake. Grilling time will vary depending on the size of your fish. A 2 to 3-pound fish usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes more after flipping onto the scale side.
Red snapper, sea bass, or grouper are great substitutions for rockfish.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 302mg | Sodium: 405mg | Potassium: 1039mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 670IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 3.8mgOpen Next Page To See More!