As if grilled Chilean sea bass wasn’t precise sufficient, this recipe requires it to be drizzled with garlic butter and topped off with an oregano pesto. An absolutely delicious meal and best for any occasion.
- 1 pound Chilean sea bass (skin on one side)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (juice of 1/2 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.75 mL sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.75 mL black pepper
- For the Oregano Pesto:
- 1/3 cup/80 mL fresh oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup/80 mL olive oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL sea salt
- For the Garlic Butter:
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL butter
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
Steps to Make It
- To prepare pesto, place its ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is well combined. Do not puree the mixture, it should still have some texture. Add more oregano for a thicker sauce.
- Preheat grill for medium heat. Wash and pat dry fish. Combine lemon juice and grapeseed oil. Slather onto fleshy part of fish and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Grab a large pair of outdoor cooking tongs and folded paper towels. Dip paper towels in a good amount of grapeseed oil and run across the hot grill grates Repeat this process 4 times to create a non-stick surface for the fish.
- Place sea bass onto the grill, flesh side down. Allow fish to cook for 3 minutes and very gently, using a wide metal spatula, work the fish away from the grill grates. Once, the fish gives, flip over and cook (skin side down) for an additional 10 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the filet. Fish is done once the thickest part of the fillet reaches an internal temperature of 145 F (63 C). Remove fish and gently cover with foil until ready to serve. Be gentle.
- For the garlic butter, place olive oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. As soon as it starts to heat up (bubbles appear), add sliced garlic, stir and remove from heat. The garlic flavor will infuse in the oil, but will not burn if you do this. Let cool for 30 seconds before using it.
- To serve, drizzle platter with garlic butter, then pesto. Set fish on top and garnish with your favorite herbs and vegetables. Drizzle with a little garlic butter on top if you’d like a little extra flavor. Serve with your favorite side dishes, though we do recommend grilled vegetables for this dish.