Grill Tilapia (African Style) — Easy entire grilled Tilapia smothered in spices and herbs with an African spicy warm sauce for dipping.
- white fish (Sea bass red snapper, or tilapia
- 1-2 lemons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon whole white pepper
- 2 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 1-2 African Nutmeg Uhuru
- 7-10 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder or cubes
- 1 piece 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil parsley
- ¼ cup onions or ¼ medium onion
- Make three-four diagonal cuts in each side of the fish, all the way right through the bone. Season fish with salt, pepper, and squeeze some lemon over it. Set aside
- Using a coffee grinder – grind all the dry spices – anise seeds, African nutmeg, white pepper, and black pepper. Add to a bowl.
- Chop parsley, onion, basil, garlic, ginger, bouillon cubes and place in a food processor or blender. Blend/ pulse adding oil/water as needed until the ingredients are finely pureed. Add to the bowl of dry spices. Add paprika and more oil if need be. Mix thoroughly until all the spices come together
- Pour the marinade over the fish, and gently flip them back and forth until coated inside and out. Let it marinate in the fridge for up to 24hours
- Preheat to high heat.
- When you are ready to grill, Wipe down the grill basket with an oiled towel and them immediately lay the fish down in the fish casket. Let them grill for about 1-2 minutes on each side
- Reduce to medium-high, then cover the grill if you have a gas grill
- If you are using a small bbq grill, leave the fish on the open grill or hot charcoal.
- Baste with fish spice
- Let the fish cook for a total of 4-5 minutes on each side, you may have to add a minute on two depending on the thickness of your fish until cooked – when fish is white and the juices must run clear.
- Check for doneness by making sure the meat closest to the bone is fully cooked – slash with a knife to check.
- Serve with pepper sauce and these grilled plantains.
- Peel plantains
- Slice in the middle then cut in halve. Season with salt and brush with the spice mix
- Grill on each side for about 3 minutes until fully cook through – watch carefully because they burn easily. Enjoy!
- When grilling fish it is easier to grill when you use a grill fish basket – makes a difference (easy flipping).