Fish taco bowls with cilantro-lime rice, brief-pickled cabbage, zesty black beans, and queso fresco. A weeknight-friendly meal that is infinitely affable and sure to become a family favorite.
- ⅔ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. grouper, cut into 3-4 fillets (sub with halibut, cod, mahi-mahi, or snapper)
- 1 cup dry basmati rice, rinsed
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp. lime zest, plus 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can lower-sodium black beans
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 4 Tbsp. queso fresco (optional)
- Combine vinegar, ½ cup water, sugar, and ¾ tsp. of the salt in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage in a heatproof bowl or jar. Let cool at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Place 1 Tbsp. of the oil, paprika, cayenne, and ½ tsp. of the salt in a shallow bowl or plate; stir well. Add grouper fillets; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Combine rice, 2 cups water, and ½ tsp. of the salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, lime zest, and 1 Tbsp. of the lime juice.
- Partially drain black beans. Place in a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in cumin and remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until heated through. Set aside and wipe pan clean.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add grouper; cook 3 to 4 minutes, flip, and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until cooked through. Flake into large pieces.
- To assemble bowls, divide rice and beans evenly into each of 4 bowls. Top with grouper pieces. Drain the cabbage and top each bowl evenly with pickled cabbage. Sprinkle queso fresco evenly over top; garnish with extra cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Nutrition InformationServing size: ¼th of recipe Calories: 458 Fat: 9 gm Saturated fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 64 gm Sugar: 2 gm Sodium: 615 mg Fiber: 7 gm Protein: 33 gmOpen Next Page To See More!