Get the children involved in making this veg stuffed fish pie. A healthful deal with for all the family
- 200g plain flour
- 100g cold butter
- 50g rolled oats
- 50g hard cheese, grated – be careful!
- 500g skinless and boneless white fish
- 2 large carrots
- 100g frozen peas
- 400g large cooked and peeled prawns, thawed if frozen
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 450ml milk
- 30g chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- First make the topping: Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour. Add the oats and, using a fork, mash the butter into the flour and oats until the mixture looks like large breadcrumbs. This could take a child up to 5 mins. Add the cheese and stir until mixed together well. Set this aside as you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling: Cut the cod into finger-sized pieces and place it in the buttered oven-proof dish. Peel the carrots and cut into pieces the size and shape of your little finger. Put the carrots in the same dish as the cod, then add the peas and the prawns.
- To make the sauce: Place the butter into a saucepan and allow to melt over medium heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat, then add the flour, stirring to form a thick smooth paste. Place the saucepan back over the heat and cook for 2 mins to remove the starchy taste. Gradually add the milk, a little at a time, and stir with a wooden spoon, making sure that no lumps appear until you have a smooth sauce. This mixture should resemble the consistency of double cream. When the sauce has come to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 2 mins. Season with pepper according to taste. Add the parsley and bay leaf, then pour the sauce over the fish, carrots, and peas.
- Finally: Sprinkle the topping you made earlier over the fish and sauce. Place the dish into the oven, then bake for approximately 20-25 mins or until the topping is golden and crunchy. Remove from the oven and serve with crispy salad or mashed root vegetables