Line-caught beer-battered haddock, highly spiced homemade tartar sauce and Hickory Stick fish tacos are a fun new way to serve an antique favorite. The soft bite of the fresh haddock with the crunch of the hickory sticks affords satisfying stability, even as the tropical flavor of the squeezed lime cools down the warmth of the tartar sauce.
|vegetable oil, for frying|
|1 cup||all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp||Old Bay seasoning|
|1 cup||Boxing Rock Hunky Dory Pale Ale|
|1 ½ lb||Nova Scotia haddock, cut into 3-4” pieces|
|12||corn or flour tortillas|
|½||small cabbage, thinly sliced|
|300 g||bag of Hickory Sticks|
|lime wedges, to serve|
Spicy Tartar Sauce
|6 tbsp||sweet pickle relish|
|1 tbsp||capers, chopped|
|2 tsp.||lime juice|
|2 tsp.||chopped chipotles in adobo sauce|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
Directions (serves 6):
- Stir together tartar sauce ingredients until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For a spicier sauce, add additional chipotle.
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a heavy saucepan to 350°F.
- Whisk together the flour, Old Bay and salt. Whisk in the beer until the batter is smooth.
- Working in batches, dip the haddock in the batter and gently drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with the remaining haddock.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Top tortillas with cabbage, haddock, spicy tartar sauce, and Hickory Sticks. Serve with lime wedges and additional spicy tartar sauce.