Loaded with shrimp, corn and melted cheese, this hearty seafood chowder comes collectively in half-hour or much less!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 oz.) bag frozen corn, thawed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds fully cooked, frozen shrimp, thawed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, celery, and garlic and cook until vegetables are just tender 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, thyme, paprika, cayenne, and corn. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour and cream in a blender and puree until smooth. Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the soup and continue to simmer until soup begins to thicken. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for another 5-7 minutes, or until shrimp is heated through (or fully cooked if you are using raw). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and parsley.