These beer marinated fish tacos are so smooth to make and packed full of taste!
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- lime juice as desired
- 1 bottle beer preferably Mexican beer
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound white fish like cod or tilapia filets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil like avocado oil
- 1 16-ounce bag of coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup chipotle sauce from above
- tortillas About 6-8. Your choice: flour, corn, cassava
- pico de gallo
- queso fresco crumbled
- fresh cilantro chopped
- In a medium bowl, stir together beer and salt. Submerge fish and let marinate while you continue prepping.
- Make the chipotle sauce: Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Make the slaw: Pour 1/2 cup of the chipotle sauce over the coleslaw mix in a medium bowl and squeeze the juice of half a lime over. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and mix well to totally coat. Set aside.
- Remove fish from the beer and discard. Pat fish completely dry with paper towels then sprinkle evenly with taco seasoning. Season with salt, depending on how much salt is already in your taco seasoning.
To pan-sear fish
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Carefully add fish and let cook 3 minutes without moving.
- Carefully flip fish and cook another 3 minutes on the second side for a total of about 6 minutes. Thicker pieces of the filet will take longer, about 8 minutes, while thinner pieces will take about 4 minutes total. Fish is ready when it flakes easily with the corner of your spatula. Transfer cooked fish to a plate or cutting board.
To grill fish
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill grates with oil and grill fish filets for about 3-4 minutes on each side, flipping only once. Cook time will depend on the thickness of the fish. Transfer cooked fish to a plate or cutting board.
- Warm tortillas by placing on the grill for a few seconds or wrapping in a lightly damp paper towel and microwaving about 20 seconds.
- Break fish into pieces and distribute them evenly among tortillas. Top with slaw then drizzle chipotle sauce over. Top with cheese, like crumbled queso fresco, and fresh salsa, like pico de gallo, as well as fresh cilantro, as desired.
Nutritional info does not include tortillas. Select low carb tortillas for low carb, or try cassava or coconut tortillas for paleo.
To make this dairy-free, use plain dairy-free yogurt instead of sour cream or yogurt.Open Next Page To See More!