Crispy Oven Baked Tilapia soaked in buttermilk and covered with bread crumbs, is a suitable dinner option for busy weeknights. The fish is cooked in approximately 15 mins, and it has a clean and delicious taste.
- 6 tilapia filets (thawed and pat dry)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & pepper (or to taste)
Homemade Light Lemon Aioli:
- 3 tablespoons light mayo
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add parchment paper to a large rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg and the buttermilk in a large, shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Add the panko bread crumbs to a large shallow bowl and combine with the remaining ingredients: Italian seasoning mix, dried basil, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pat dry the fish filets, using tongs or by hand, take a fish filet, dip it into the buttermilk mixture, toss into the breadcrumb mix. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the others.
- Ensure the breadcrumb mixture is not soggy or wet after tossing the first filets, if needed add more panko breadcrumbs. For a thicker coating, after the first round of dipping, dip each fish filet again into the buttermilk mixture and breadcrumb mixture. In that case, the panko breadcrumb quantity should be doubled.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the coating is golden brown and fish is fork-tender. Spray with cooking spray mid baking for the coating to have a shiny, golden brown color.
- Remove from oven, lightly squeeze some lemon juice onto the fish filets and garnish with parsley. Serve with lemon aioli and lemon wedges on the side.