Classically trained chef Tomas Lee become keen to carry the Asian-taco craze to Atlanta with his new eating place Hankook. Here, he flavors panko-breaded fried-fish tacos with hoisin mayonnaise. More Tasty Tacos
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 4-by-1-inch strips
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- Shredded green cabbage, lettuce leaves, cilantro, and sliced scallions, for serving
How to Make It
In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the hoisin sauce, pickle relish, and lemon juice.
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and white pepper. Seal the bag and shake. Add the fish and shake to coat.
Put the eggs and panko in separate shallow bowls. Dip the fish in the egg and then in the panko. Transfer the fish to a wax paper-lined platter.
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil to 350°. Add half of the fish and fry over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain the fish on a paper towel-lined platter. Repeat with the remaining fish. Serve the fish in the tortillas, passing the hoisin mayonnaise, cabbage, lettuce, cilantro and scallions for serving.
Margarita made with 100-percent agave tequila: Patrón Silver.Open Next Page To See More!