This Easy Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos Recipe additionally has a crunchy jalapeno lime cabbage slaw and an avocado crema that makes the fine fish taco sauce. Make these fish tacos tonight!
Ingredients For The Fish Tacos:
- 1 pound mild white fish such as tilapia, flounder or Dover sole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime zested and juiced (plus more lime for serving)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 8 small corn tortillas
- extra lime wedges
- Cilantro optional
Lime Slaw for The Fish Tacos:
- 4 cups sliced cabbage or slaw mix
- 1/2 jalapeño diced (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- pinch of salt
Avocado Crema For The Fish Tacos:
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine the olive oil, lime zest and juice, garlic, paprika, chili powder, salt and chipotle pepper in a mini-food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Place fish in a large zip-top bag and pour the sauce over it. Use your hands to move the fish around until fully coated in the sauce. Allow marinating for 15 minutes. (I don’t recommend leaving the fish in the marinade much longer because the lime juice can start to break down the fish and give it a weird texture)
- When ready to cook, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, add some oil to the pan to keep fish from sticking. Sear fish on one side, 1–2 minutes, then flip and sear on the other side until cooked through (cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish, it is done when opaque and easily flaked with a fork. My fish was very thin and only took 1-2 minutes per side)
- To prepare the slaw, toss together the cabbage mix, lime juice, salt and jalapeno, set aside until ready to eat.
- To prepare the avocado crema, add the avocado, lime juice, sour cream, and salt to a food processor, pulse until creamy.
- Warm the tortillas by spraying with cooking oil and heating in a large skillet, flipping as needed, until starting to brown and crisp on both sides.
- To assemble tacos, fill tortillas with some slaw and fish. Top with avocado crema and salsa. Drizzle with lime juice and garnish with cilantro (if using, optional) Enjoy!