Delicious crispy chicken fried fish nuggets that make a better dinner that kids will love.
- 2 pounds cod fillets
- vegetable oil for deep frying
FOR THE FLOUR DREDGE
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp dry ground thyme
- 1 tbsp dry ground oregano
FOR THE EGG WASH
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
FOR THE LIME CHIVE MAYO
- 2 large or extra-large egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch cayenne pepper
- Zest of 1 lime finely chopped
- 1 cup light olive oil
- Juice of one large lime
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Cut the cod fillets into 2-inch square-ish pieces. Lightly season the fish pieces with kosher salt.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together to make an egg wash.
FOR THE FLOUR DREDGE
- Mix together the flour, nutmeg, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- Dip the codpieces into the flour dredge and press the mixture firmly on all sides of the fish. Shake off the excess flour and dip the pieces into the egg wash.
- Return the egg-washed pieces of fish back to the flour dredge mixture and toss well to coat them on all sides.
- Preheat deep fryer to 350 degrees F and drop in the cod nuggets.
- Fry for about 4-6 minutes until a medium golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack placed on a cookie sheet. Hold in a 175-degree oven if making more than one batch. Serve with Lime Chive Mayo.
TO MAKE THE LIME CHIVE MAYO
- In a blender on medium-high speed combine the egg yolks, salt sugar, cayenne pepper, and lime zest until thick and pale in color.
- Add the olive oil alternately with lime juice in three parts, adding the oil very slowly in a thin stream. This will produce a thick mayonnaise. Fold in the chopped chives and serve.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currentlyOpen Next Page To See More!