A specialty from the Chettinad location of Tamil Nadu, this fish fry recipe has a bunch of delectable spices used for marination giving it a unique touch. Surmai fish portions are marinated after which pan-fried until crisp.
Of Chettinad Fish Fry
- 2 Surmai fillets(kingfish)
- 2 tbsp oil (to pan fry)
- For the marination:
- 7-8 Garlic cloves
- 1 ginger knob, mashed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fennel
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 9-10 Curry leaves
- to taste salt
- 1 tsp oil (to grind)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 tsp tamarind extract
- 1 tbsp cornflour (to sprinkle)
- Lemon wedges
How to Make
Chettinad Fish Fry
- 1. Cut the fish fillets into equal medium-sized pieces.
- 2. In a pan, dry roast garlic, ginger, cumin, fennel, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, mustard seeds, and curry leaves.
- 3. Pound them in a mortar and pestle. Add a little salt, oil, and water to help in the procedure.
- 4. Now add the chopped tomato, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and tamarind extract.
- 5. Pound them together till pulp like and spread it over the fish pieces.
- 6. Sprinkle some cornflour over the fish. The cornflour helps the masala to stick
- 7. Marinate the fish and keep in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- 8. In a pan, fry the fish with the refined oil.
- 9. Serve hot with a bit of lemon squeezed over and a few lemon wedges on the side.